CHARLES LAWRENCE WELLS, sixth son of Mr. and Mrs. George Wells and a grandson of the late Edward Wells of Quincy, is one of the most prominent younger men of the city, a leading spirit in all public movements and a constructive factor in all that makes for advancement in this section of the state. He inherits much of the enterprise and vigor of his grandfather, but has directed them largely to civic interests.
He was born at Quincy January 19, 1883, and like his older brothers was educated chiefly in the East. He attended the noted Lawrenceville School in New Jersey, also the Phillips Academy at Exeter, New Hampshire, and in the fall of 1903 entered Harvard University, from which he graduated in 1907.
After his return to Quincy he became identified with his father’s business, and is still connected with the firm Wells & Adams, Mortgage Bankers.
In June, 1910, he was appointed by the mayor to the City Board of Local Improvements, and was one of its executive committee until 1912. During that time the board effected a great deal of permanent improvement in the city, especially in constructing new streets, sidewalks and sewers and doing probably more in this line of improvement that Quincy has ever had at any similar period before or since. In 1912 Mr. Wells was appointed a member of the Boulevard and Park Association and is a member of the executive committee of that organization.
He has served as secretary of the Civic League, and through this organization has done some of his best work for the city. Mr. Wells since May, 1916, has been president of the Woodlawn Cemetery Association, having succeeded his father, who had been president for many years. This is the oldest and finest cemetery in the city. It is owned by the city, but is cared for by the Cemetery Association, which was organized thirty-six years ago.
Mr. Wells is one of the most enthusiastic Masons in Western Illinois. He has been junior deacon of his lodge, illustrious master of Quincy Council No. 15, Royal and Select Masters, high priest of the Royal Arch Chapter, active in the Knight Templar Commandery No. 77, and a member of the Quincy Consistory of Scottish Rite. During the winter of 1918 Mr. Wells served as chairman of the local fuel administration under John E. Williams of Chicago, state chairman. Mr. Wells is independent in politics, and is a member of the Unitarian Church.
In November, 1915, he married Miss Lois D. Benton, who was born in Quincy, daughter of Joel Benton. Mrs. Wells is a highly cultured woman, who educated in the Quincy High School, at Davenport, Iowa, and finished her education in the Mason School of Tarrytown, New York.
Barbara Freeman October 1999
Source: “Quincy and Adams County History and Representative Men” Volume II, c. 1919 Page 741