GEORGE W. PEARCE. A residence of many years in Adams County has given this gentleman a thorough knowledge of the growth and development of this region of country, its resources and advantages, and has also extended his acquaintance and enabled him to make many friends here.
A life-long farmer, he is the owner of a good estate in Liberty Town- ship, consisting of three hundred and twenty acres, on which are a beautiful residence and the usual farming buildings. He also devotes considerable time and attention to the raising of stock, and besides the number of animals required by the domestic and farm economy, has some splendid specimens of horse flesh, together with good breeds of cattle and hogs.
Born in Sullivan County, East Tennessee, in October, 1826, young George was a lad of five years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to this county in May, 1831, and here he has resided on the same farm ever since. His first attendance at school was in
a log building of the most primitive description, and as he aided his father greatly in carrying on the home estate, his attendance was confined to the winter months. When reaching his eighteen year, his father having reached his eighteenth year, his father having died in 1934, he continued to reside at home and operate the farm until the death of his mother. Mr. Pearce then purchased the interest of his brothers and sisters in the estate, which is still in his possession.
Miss Sarah E. Knowles became the wife of our subject in 1871, and to them have been born eight sons, six of whom are still living. The parents of Mr. Pearce, Joshua and Sarah (Golden) Pearce, also had a family of eight children. It is presumed that they were natives
respectively of East Tennessee and Virginia. After locating in this county in 1832, the father became a soldier in the Black Hawk Indian War. He was a farmer by occupation, and erected on his place a mill operated by horse power, in which he ground corn and wheat
into bread stuff. He later in life established in the mercantile business in partnership with A. A. D. Butts, they operating together successfully for some time. When the elder Mr. Pearce came to this section, his nearest neighbor on the east lived eighteen miles
distant, and, like many of the pioneers, he was subjected to all the dangers and privations incident to life in a new country.
As before stated, our subject is the proprietor of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, which he has developed into one of the finest farms in the township. He has on his estate probably the best barn in this section, and, as he started out in life with but limited means, it is very evident that his prosperity is the result of his own labors, guided by good judgement. In politics, he has voted with the Republican party since its organization, and although he takes a deep interest in whatever concerns the welfare of his township and county, declines to accept any public position. Socially, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his influence in the community has ever been for good.
File contributed by: Mary Love Berryman
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Adams County, Illinois, containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, pp. 506-7. Chicago: Chapman Bros., 189.