SEYMOUR L. McCRORY, attorney-at-law and Notary Public of La Harpe, is a native of Liberty Township, Adams County, Ill. He was born on the 9th of March, 1867, and is a son of James McCrory, who was born in Washington County, Pa., on the 1st of January, 1820. The latter was the eldest child of Samuel and Hannah McCrory. On the 6th of November, 1843, in his native county, was celebrated the marriage of James McCrory and Miss Letitia Job, who was the youngest in a family of ten children, nine daughters and a son. Her mother died when she was only nine days old, and she is now the only survivor of the entire family. Until she was seven years of age her eldest sister cared for her, and from that time until her marriage she made her home with a Quaker family by the name of Sutherland.
On the 6th of November, 1893, Mr. and Mrs. McCrory celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary. For a-half century they had traveled life’s journey together, sharing with each other its joys and sorrows, its adversity and prosperity. Their union was blessed with a family of eight children, all of whom are yet living, namely: Minerva E., wife of Alvin Hartshorn, of Richfield Township, Adams County, where he is now serving as Township Supervisor; Zoula Myrtle, wife of N. P. Mclntyre, a resident farmer of Carrollton, Mo.; Martin R., a physician and surgeon of Pueblo, Colo.; John K., a real-estate broker of Trinidad, Colo.; Charlotte L., wife of J. E. Worrell, Jr., who carries on farming in Bowen, Hancock County; George B., a blacksmith residing on the old farm in Liberty, Ill.; H. Geneva, at home; and Seymour L., our subject. The father of this family emigrated to Adams County, Ill., in 1850, and for some time followed the plasterer’s trade, which he had learned in early life. He is now living retired on the old farm which he purchased in 1851.
We now take up the personal history of Mr. McCrory whose name heads this sketch. He attended the district schools near his old home until he was seventeen years of age, and then entered Chaddock College, of Quincy, Ill., where he remained for a year. After leaving that institution at the age of eighteen, he taught for four years in the district schools of Adams County, and at the expiration of that period he again entered Chaddock College as a teacher of stenography. At the same time he entered upon a literary course of study, which he continued for three years. During the second year of that course he also entered the law department of Chaddock College, where he continued his studies for a time. Later he became a student in the law office of Shannon & Lemmon, of Quincy, Ill., and under their direction completed his course.
Passing the State examination, he was admitted to the Bar on the 9th of March, 1893, and since that time has been successfully engaged in practice. On the 1st of May following, he came to La Harpe and opened an office, and on the 8th of the same month he was commissioned Notary Public.
On the 20th of September, 1893, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. McCrory and Miss Fannie B. Gillies, only daughter of Rev. John and Fannie (Bartholow) Gillies, of Kirksville, Mo. The young couple are both members of the Methodist Protestant Church and take an active part in its work and upbuilding. Their home is a hospitable one, and they are favorably known throughout this community. In politics, Mr. McCrory is a Democrat, and his first Presidential vote was cast for Grover Cleveland in 1888. He is still a young man, but has given evidence of ability in his profession that will rapidly win him a foremost place at the Bar.
Mr McCrory, who has a bright future before him, is making marked progress in his profession. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to Gem City Lodge No. 357, of Quincy, Ill.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by: Sandy Morrey
Source: Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, pp. 168-71. [Chicago, Ill.] : Lake City Pub. Co. 1894.